The problem with being a general skiller

My style of play is probably different from yours. Which is probably going to be different from the next person who reads this etc.

Some people want to be great pk'ers. Others, social butterflies who do things in game so that they can chat with people and socialize. Some folks want to be the richest, others the best dressed. Some want to be the great adventurer mapping out the new lands, others great smiths who work at an anvil all day.

Me.....I want levels. I want to be self sufficient. I want to be able to go where I want when I want. (I also want to the Packers to bring back Favre and make a run for the Super Bowl but I digress).

The reason I got my quest cape wasn't to be an uber quester. It was so that I could access every little bit of game content available. I pushed to level 70 for the same reason.

So what's the problem with this?

1) You will not be rich. I'm not poor, but I'll never be rich. I don't hang at the GE tracking prices and merchanting. I'm not making 1000's of runes to sell for a profit. I raise both the money making and the money costing skills. I use my cash for levels. If I get over 3 million in the bank I buy hard to obtain supplies (see my previous post on money). Money in the bank is levels that I'm not getting.

2) Bank space will always be a problem. Just a fact of life. Because I've got so much stuff to work with/on I'm always packed to the gills.

3) I find that I have no idea what people are talking about at times. Specifically, if you ask me how long it takes to get to 80 woodcutting....uhm...well it'll take me nearly 2 years because I stopped every few levels and did something. I also don't understand people saying "I have to kill 500 yaks to get to level 50 crafting". Uhm....no....

4) Loss of efficiency. Look I know that if I wanted 80 woodcutting the fastest way would be to just cut trees everyday. Obviously, that's not what happened. All that banking and gear changing definately impacts xp per hour. Again, just a fact of life.

So why not just grind out 20 levels of woodcutting then 20 of agility etc? Because I would get bored.

So why am I typing this? Well.....yesterday I was fletching and someone came up and asked me something. I told them I didn't know. They obviously looked at my levels and asked me how can you be x and not know this? I replied I knew how to do what they wanted, but didn't know how long it would take them to go from their level to their goal. They had a hard time understanding this. (Appearantly I am also the leveling and skilling calculator).

Different people. Different styles.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

others great smiths who work at an anvil all day.

^ hey look, im in there :P

im in it to socialize :D

Bingo said...

Great Read. I really respect you for your playing style and sticking to it. I wish I was able to do that, but I always seem to be going after something.

I really enjoy reading posts like these on your blog.

Keep going!

~Bingo

G said...

The thing about a skill cape or the quest cape is people immediately assume its all you did and you know everything about it because you don't do anything else.

Someone asked me, what I think, probably the most offensive question to me as a Runescape player:

"What's your price?"

I asked him what he meant and he replied "How much I had total in cash and items." And then proceeded to mock me for not knowing.

Do people really do this? How can you keep track of the price of every single thing in your bank (I struggle for that one single open space everytime)?

I play the game to play the game, not to be fake rich. I'm glad others do the same :)

Another great article.

Jax said...

Tak-I put that in there for you :D

Bingo-Thanks. Nothing wrong with going after something, I think we all do. It's a matter of what keeps you entertained.

G-It amazes me how people on the forums want a counter on their bank to tell them what their contents are worth. That'd be a top 5 offensive question to me for sure.

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?