June 14, 2010

Did a nechrayeal task today. Got a clue scroll which I’ll chase down tomorrow. Otherwise, not much to not in game.

I’m looking to do floor 34 large on Friday night (night being 9pm PST). I think I’ve got 2 people who want to go but if two others are free that night it’d be perfect. (Kayla-if you’re reading this I’m going to bug you to go).

To be honest, I am mean. In RL I work in a very urban setting. When I walk out of the office and go down the elevators I’m surrounded by some mix of businesspeople, tourists, street vendors, locals who are visiting downtown, homeless people, the guy who says the world will end in 2012 (I’m impressed, he has new charts this week), and a number of people collecting for a variety of charities. Typical day, I run a gauntlet of at least 5 people representing 3 different charities. When I first started this job I would make eye contact and say no thank you to the solicitors. Then it became a rush pass and shake my head. Now I just ignore them. There’s one, especially, that I’m really not convinced about. And I really avoid them the hardest. Or more to the point, I ignore them the most vigorously.

And what’s this have to do with RS? The other day I was mining a star with some friends. Someone walks up and starts mining it and asking all kinds of questions about stars. He’s got a higher combat level then me but is clueless as to how stars work. So first thing I think is that he’s recent moved from F2P to P2P. Hmmm…but he’s got 138 combat, which means he maxed summoning. So he can’t be that new. So the star finishes and I start mining the coal on Misc to get my favor up. He asks me what I’m doing…..to make a long story short he asks me how to manage a kingdom. I look him up on HS. He’s got something like 2120+ levels. I’m finding his questions stranger and stranger. How do you get to be that high level and not know some of this stuff? I told him to check his favorite fansite for guides on Misc since it’s a bit complex (not really but not something I want to explain in depth). Anyways, the upshot was that I got the feeling that he bought his account. Or was given it at least. And so I just left. No good-bye, no argument about “how the heck did you get those levels and be so clueless”. I just left. It wasn’t just the questions about Misc, it was all the questions. I can’t put my finger on the exact words or question, it just left me that feeling of something not right. Like the charity that I don’t think is legitimate in real life, it’s not something I want to fight about. I’m not going to to up to the people collecting for this charity and tell them I suspect something is up and I’m not going to fight with this guy about his account. So for both, I just leave. Yes, I know that’s mean in a way. Maybe this guy did have legitimate questions, who knows. But there’s this weird feeling I think we all get when things don’t make sense. And in RS just like in RL……it’s not worth the fight and I doubt there’s anything that can be done.

4 comments:

Kitt said...

I see these occasionally and do believe they're bought accounts. When I first met one and listened to the simple questions (How do I get to Al Kharid?), I thought maybe it was a weird plot by Jagex to search out helpful players to go on a pmod waiting list.

G said...

I know that gauntlet well. Avoid eye contact, keep moving and ignore the comments of "why do you hate the earth/starving children?!" If you gave money to every street charity, you'd be broke in about a week. Also, its amazing how its some people's jobs to make you feel like crap when you're just trying to do your own job.

All you want to do is get home from work...


As for the questions, that is weird. Bought/given account is my first thought as well. It's one thing being helpful, its another to teach someone how to play the game.

H Alger said...

I think all of you are heroes for leaving your public chat on so much.

Alex @t Rs Bits said...

Yes, these are most definitely bought accounts, you should probably report them.

A few months back when I last played (went pking), there was a pure there with higher combat level then me. He said his stats were 90 range, some hp levels and everything else 1. (To get 90 range on a pure, it takes some incredible effort, motivation and KNOWLEDGE of what you are doing and WHY you are getting these stats.

When I asked the guy why he had 1 magic only (most people who legitimately get 70+ of a stat and are pure know the importance of magic and the fact that it gets no extra combat levels).

So he responded with ''because I'm a pure'' to my question of why did you have only 1 magic.

When I heard that, I immediately knew that the account was bought. Jagex should really tighten their penalties on botters who create those accounts in the first place.

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?