It's all about STYLE~~

First, let's divide up the Runescape population into two broad categories: adults and teens. I'm not going to attach ages to this for reasons you'll see later.

Within the adult category I'll further divide them into 2 groups: parents and non-parents.

Traits of parents: These people play Runescape and interact with the "kids" as they would their own kids. They are right there every step of the way offering advice, encouragement, wringing their hands when people are mean. At best they are the cheerleaders and sage moral voices of RS. At worst they change diapers and wipe noses and enable all manner of whining with their sympathetic cooing.

Traits of Non-Parents. These are adults who play Runescape for their own pleasure. They aren't there to be policing anyone. They are there to have fun or reach a goal. They are often hostile and callous when it comes to whining. It doesn't mean they won't help, just that the whining that brings the Parent types running will usually result in the non-parent type ignoring that person. They are often seen as selfish and arrogant.

Second, 2 groups of "teens". Let's call one the "mature" and one "kids". (Yeah it's somewhat inflammatory but since it's my blog......)

Mature: You have no idea how old they are. They might mention school or having to do a family thing that hints at their not being adults yet. They tend to be able to communicate like an adult. If they need help they ask specific questions. They understand that time is valuable and respect their own and others. At worst they can be callous to those who are struggling or who don't know as much as them. At best they are great leaders. GWD teams, merchant companies, various other group lead stuff....these guys are good at it.

Kids: Do you really need this explained? Really? Ok here goes.....they ask for help without giving specifics. They DEMAND help in fact. Often times their communications are indechiperable to begin with. They really want to do well. But they don't quite know how to get there. They get upset easily and lash out. The upside is that they can be the kindest people in the game. They will spend an entire afternoon helping you out if they feel like it.

Using this perspective I see a lot of alliances between the non-parents and the mature and the parents and kids.

Non-parents/Mature: They pretty much have the same goals. They treat each other as equals more or less.

Parents/Kids: Symbiotic relationship. The parents patience and encouragement helps nourish the kids need for postivie reinforcement. The kids allow the parents to....well....act like parents.

So far so good?

So where it comes apart is when the two groups have to interact with one another. I've had friends I'd put in the "mature" group rant at me about one of the "parents" treating them a certain way. I've seen both non-parents and mature pick on a kid. I've seen a kid try to demand something from a non-parent/mature and get absolutely nowhere. And I've seen the non-parents and parents absolutely go toe to toe about the "right" thing to do in a situation.

I know what group I fall in. When I look at the interactions I've had over the last month (I've had lots of time to think running around ape atoll) I find that this works pretty well to sort out what has gone right and gone wrong in those interactions.

8 comments:

Damian said...

Very Nice Jax :)

~Dpower20~

AndyMaster24 said...

Nice post Jax. If you don't mind me asking, what group do I fall into? be honest. :O

Jax said...

Look at what you group you get along with best and worst :P

Jax said...

Look at what you group you get along with best and worst :P

AndyMaster24 said...

Methinks I fit in the Mature Teens group, I get annoyed by kids, don't mind the parents, and mostly hang out with non-parent adults.

Anonymous said...

It's dangerous to generalize like you did. I'm in the adult non parent group you wrote about, and am more helpfull then not. Yes I prefer not to be disturbed, and only lash out at immaturity by said kids group. Other then that I help when I can, and am not arrogant. 00chief00

Unknown said...

I generally like this list, I see where "chief" is comming from, but overall its pretty dead on.

I would have to say I'm in the mature kids group, but I would say that most of the people in DC are of Mature Kids / Parents.

Scorpiious said...

Hello, this is soul from TRB ( therunescapeblog.com )

i just read your article and you seem to be a very good blogger. We are wondering if you would like to blog for us. email me back. Thanks

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?