April 9, 2009

85 Summoning. Used 46 penguin points. Made a few other things to get to 85. Going to make up some swamp titans next time I do slayer (feels like it's been a long time since I did slayer).

I've been checking the official forums lately. I like taking a quick cruise there at lunch, see if there's any hidden updates or any other good stuff. F2P can now use the forums. Good for them!! There's a lot of idiots on there saying "omg, no f2p on forums. Members are getting ripped off."

Oh, really? How is it even possible that f2p getting forums makes your membership less valuable?

People are complaining about more spam. Really? Cause I think p2p has done a great job of spamming and idiot posts before. There's plenty of threads posted on "how long will it take to get 1-99 wc" "i need money" or my favorite (found this yesterday) "skils are lame. jagexx shuld mak more melee stuf. i am lvl 76. noobs have 2 much gud stuf. high lvls need stuf so i can get more stuf." The forums were a mix of good quality posts and idiot spammers and incomprehensible leet speakers. This is not going to change a thing.

F2p is going to ask for more f2p stuff. Sure. Fine. Ask away. Some of them might have a really great idea for new content that benefits EVERYBODY!! how many hundreds of posts have been made along the lines of "i want a pony" "i want cars" " i want ninjas" . Do you see us having ponies/cars/ninjas in RS?

I pay for members. F2p are freeloaders/playing the demo. Uhm....Jagex is a VERY profitable company. Profitable companies are profitable because they MAKE MONEY! That's pretty much the magic formula profit=more money less costs. If you think your $5 a month covers the cost of your account you are crazy, stupid or both. Developers cost money. Servers cost money. Bandwidth costs money. Receptionists cost moneys. Lawyers cost lots of money. So does rent. The F2P people cover their costs. Not like members do (by providing a credit card or whatever) but by watching ads and other stuff. There's nothing new here. There are plenty of sites on the web where you can either buy membership or watch a 30 sec commercial before getting to the content you want. Trust me on this, Jagex is making money on f2p. If they didn't they wouldn't do it. It's too expensive to pay for servers/bandwidth/etc.

You get a TON of stuff that F2P doesn't by paying $5. What's $5? For me it's a coffee and donut. Sorry, and I know it will offend some of you....but it's spare change. It's not worth getting your undies in a knot about paying for. "omg I'm better then you because I can pay $5". Bah!

F2P doesn't deserve a voice because they don't pay. Yeah they do. Just not like you do (see the comment above about watching ads). I'll say this about Runescape and it applies to real life just the same. Not allowing people to speak based on how much they are paying in or taking out is wrong. It's immoral and it goes against both American and British political and cultural traditions. (Minus the occasional digressions that have almost always come around to bite us in the butt). To say that some people do not get a voice because they do not have money.....I would think long and hard about this. Because the next logical thing to say is "you should have less of a voice because you have less money". That never turns out well.....for anyone.

What I would LOVE TO SEE is that Jagex extend their requirements for F2p to get forum access (currently 12.5million xp) to 12.5 million xp ANd at least level 40 in 4 skills. And enforce that on MEMBERS AND NON MEMBERS BOTH!

Ok I'm tired from all that ranting. And I should clean it up. But I think I'll just hit Post.

1 comment:

G said...

I think there's something like 1M members and 5M non-members, judging from what they've commented on before. Rock on for giving them a voice. I definitely get my $5 worth, but the more they expand f2p, its the more they expand stuff for us as well. Its inclusive, not exclusive.

I'm with ya on that part.

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?