February 17, 2011

Fletching, Cooking and Fishing all to 95 on the 11th, 12th and 13th followed by Firemaking 98 on the 13th. Been slaying a lot except on weekends when slayer areas are full, then working on other skills.

Tried out the new urns and I really really like them. I think it's a nice little bonus for skillers and not too crazy.

I started playing RS because I like quests and I was looking for a game that had good quests but wasn't 100% combat based. Hard combination I know. When I started I did a few quests and figured that I'd take a few months, knock out the 43 quests I had available and that would be that. Didn't really realize that there was a whole P2P element and wasn't really looking for something to do beyond that anyways. But I kept playing and got members after a week or so. Figured, ok....one year and I'll be done. I thought 99's were kind of dumb/end gameish and didn't care about them. So year one was all about questing and getting some basic competency.

About midway through year one I started making friends. And not the kind where you just add them and say hi. But friends that you actually trusted to go with you into the wildy without stabbing you. That really helped me along. I was rocking my mithril/steel armor and found out that it wasn't nearly as cool as I thought. (Keep in mind, this was when dragon armor was king and barrows was exotic). Most of the next few years after that were spent training skills, playing minigames and messing around. It's not that I wasn't goal focused. (Anyone who's read this blog would know better). But my goals were smaller-get all skills to 75+, complete diaries, race a friend to a goal. Along the way (before the GE) I was focused on being self sufficient. I got badly ripped off early on buying a mix of seeds. I didn't know that there were price guides and I thought I was getting a great deal on some exotic seeds. I quickly figured out I got ripped off and from that I was very reluctant to buy things from people I didn't know.

Once the GE came out and prices kind of stabilized I had reached the level where being self sufficient was making less and less sense. Instead of needing 50k for a level I needed 500k. I was still pretty self sufficient (growing my own herbs and making potions) but I realized that there was an impractical aspect to it. So I started buying things every week. With my kingdom going I didn't need that much stuff. So 100k gp a week of bones, gold ores, cannonballs and oak planks. I'd buy toadflax seeds with the profits from farming (and made a lot of pots with that toadflax too) . That was about it. I'd buy 2nds for potions as needed. Altogether I never spent more then 500k a week on supplies. When battlestaves became easier to buy I would make/buy air orbs depending on my goals.

I did this for over a year, maybe a year and a half. I had a slow steady stockpile of supplies. I was probably 75+ on all skills by this time. Making 500k a week wasn't at all difficult. Some combination of slaying, skilling and selling products and gathering daily supplies (pineapples and seaweed in Catherby, sand from Burt, Pineapples from Del Monte etc).

About 6-9 months ago I changed my formula to a million gp a week in bones and 100k a week each of ores, shards and planks. For the most part, I just continued working various skills. Got a whip drop, sold it, bought dragon bones once or twice. But mostly, it's about the slow steady collection of cash.

Why am I telling you all this?

1) I have no idea how long it takes to get 99 in anything because I never had that as a goal.

2) I have no idea how much gp a 99 will cost you because I never kept track. And I did random stuff. Like for prayer, I burned tons of shades because I had a friend who loved it and would ask me to join her.

3) I owned a dragon hatchet for about 2 months. I owned Guthans for about 3 months. I slay in a slayer helmet, fully proselyte, dragon boots, whip, barrows glove, dragon defender, Varrock cape and a glory. (Until I got a slayer helmet I used a helm of neitznot, before dragon boots I used white boots, before the whip-a rune scimmy and a legend's cape).

More importantly, I'm the last person people should ask for advice. Being efficient usually makes my eyeballs bleed. Forcing myself to do something I don't want to do sounds too much like work. My goal is to be entertained. Yes, I do create other subgoals along the way but making my eyeballs bleed has never been one of them.

2 comments:

Bingo said...

=)
The Turtle still beat the Hare in the race.

123thy said...

I slay in a slayer helmet, fully proselyte, dragon boots, whip, barrows glove, dragon defender, Varrock cape and a glory.

I think you mean Ardounge cloak. :p

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?