November 8, 2010

Only level to report this week is 93 Dungeoneering. I've pretty much quit actively training it but I still love running with my friends and helping out new people. So it's been drifting upwards. I've got a couple of friends who are training for 99 or 120 and always try to answer the call when they need a 5th.
I had a couple of floors with people who were leeching. One guy tried to justify it to say that I'm getting a 5% bonus for his being there. Well, fine, but I'm also taking a lot more damage and it's taking a lot more time so no, the 5% bonus isn't worth it. Another person I just called out on it. Otherwise though I've had a blast with this. And considering how many floors I've run I can't say enough good things about my friends and comrades in arm.

Still haven't gotten a plan together for year 5. And no, I wasn't thinking of quitting. Maybe throttling back a little though.

The funny thing about dungeoneering is that it's made me more of a team player. I usually prefer to skill solo and hang out in a clan chat or read a magazine or surf the web. But if you are in a dungeon you kind of have to pay attention. Which makes you interact more. There's a few people that I have rarely talked to but that I know from something who are now on my friends list. It started out as "this person is really dungeoneering a lot I should add them so we can team" to actually talking about stuff other then teams and dungeons. I'm not saying the skill is perfect, but to all the people who are raging about not wanting to form teams.....seriously...chill out and have fun. Sure there are idiots. Just endure them and remember to add the good ones to your friends list.

And this leads to my next thought. People are way too focused on bad people. I hear raging about how how awful a dungeoneering team is or that this person did this dumb thing etc. Or, heaven forbid, you show up without a prommy 2hander. Really? And it's not just in dungeons but let's start there. How often do you hear: I was on a great team, people laughed, this guy fished for me and we had fun? Or Yeah, it was a tough boss but my team pushed on and it was too bad I died but we worked it out? Instead it's rage rage rage. I realize it's human nature, but give me a break. Sure there's people that I'd rather not dungeon with. But to be honest (and fair) it falls into 2 categories. People who are just asses. They are noticable but to be honest they are just another vocal minority. You find them, figure out what they are and just don't go with them again. And then there's people who are trying to find their way. Maybe they have nothing bound, or something underpowered. Or they haven't done group dungeons before and don't know what "gd ggs" means. We've all been there recently. Why not just pm them and ask them if they understand? If they are new they will appreciate the help, if they are an ass you'll confirm it. And don't say they should just know. Nobody just "knows" an acronym or the difference between a tooler and a keyer or that whatever. (And before you rant at me about "well you have high level friends who are nice you don't go to w117" I DO go to w117. And I have met jerks and nice people.)

Which brings me to my next point (I had a lot of coffee this morning). What's up with people being so flipping intolerant of new people? Seriously! Have you never been the new person in class/work/club/team/party/whatever? Do you not remember what it's like to walk in to a situation where everyone knows everyone else and try to fit in? You see it in public and in other areas. People whining about not having friends in game or everyone being a jerk. But then they turn around and turn off public or ignore people who are "green" to them or decide that because someone is a bit awkward or doesn't understand their "cool" inside joke that they should be treated badly. Hello!! You don't make friends if your public is off all the time! People are jerks to you because you are a jerk to them. Yes, there are certainly some people who should be ignore or are total head cases. But most of the time I find that people ask to add me. People want to connect with people. Otherwise we'd be sitting at home playing single player games. Yeah, I don't always chat when woodcutting/fishing/whatever. I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying, the people who whine about the RS community are just as guilty of the behaviors that they whine about as their targets.

3 comments:

Pong said...

You bring up a good point, Jax. I see it in my high school everyday. And maybe I'm just mature for my age, but I see people treated like losers because they don't wear the right clothes, or they're too loud. And they're all so involved with their cell phones!!! Seriously!! In the long run that phone won't matter, and you'll be too busy with it that you'll be left without any friends.

I may not be able to afford what everyone else wears, but at least I'm real.

Runescape said...

I like your blog. It looks like your runescape game diary.

Anonymous said...

what is your screen name? I'd like to dungeon with you regardless of my low dungeoneering level (39) and combat level (77). I'd like to get some tips and hints form you. My screen name is mr cowbell2. Private Message me if im on.

Current Stats

Hit Count

Who links to me?